Saturday, April 30, 2016

Weekend Book Review: The Elements of Pizza

Pizza is a favorite meal at our house, and we prefer homemade to anything that can be purchased.  I was interested in learning more about cooking great pizza and was thrilled to get The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish.  The different elements of making pizza are discussed in depth.  A wide variety of dough recipes are included as are sauce recipes and topping ideas.

Keep in mind this is not a quick, easy cookbook.  The doughs featured in the book take time.  I am sure all of the outcomes are superb, but I am not at a point in my life where I can spend that much time making pizza.  The dough recipes call for 00 flour which is impossible to find where I live and not cheap to order from Amazon either.  I know it makes a difference, but it is not in everyone's budget.

The bottom line is that if you are a serious cook and are looking for a serious book on pizza, The Elements of Pizza is perfect for you.  If you are a frazzled cook on a serious budget, this book will have less to offer.  I say "less" as it has something for everyone.  Even the frazzled cook will pick up some helpful hints along the way.

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: