Friday, January 19, 2018

Five Frugal Things

1.  A cousin is working in Puerto Rico to help restore power and is among the first crew in one area.  He asked for a few things he needed/wanted.  I ordered through Amazon and it shipped for free with my Prime subscription.  The prices were comparable to what I would have spent in a store, but I saved at least $13 on shipping!                                                                          


2.  I got a Lowe's gift card from Swagbucks.  I am saving them to buy things I will need to makeover the garden.


3.  I had the worst time using the laundry pods as they refused to properly dissolve about half the time.  Rather than not use them, I started dissolving them in hot water.  I no longer have to worry about bits of gummy laundry pod being stuck to clothes.


4. Our microwave had been on its last legs, and it finally quit this week.  I shopped around online and found one like I wanted.  I got free shipping and used some gift cards I had to save $20.  It will arrive at the house before my next planned trip into town next week.

5.  In spite of turning off the water and draining the pipes with the most recent hard freeze, I had a pipe spring more leaks than a soaker hose.  I had everything to fix it (saws all and pvc glue) except a cap.  My uncle called to let me know he had a cap, and he came over to help me fix it.  The pipe is in the garden, which I am not using right now, so I was fine with just capping it off for the time being.  I will buy him a cap to replace his which will make for a cheap repair!

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Do you have an HE washer?
I use pods often and they work fine in my old style washer.
That would aggravate me if they didn’t dissolve like yours.

Dawn said...

Rhonda, I do have an HE washer. I think that is part of the problem. The other part is the extreme cold we are having right now. The water coming out of our well is extremely cold. I do not want to wash everything on hot just to dissolve the laundry pod. Pre-dissolving them works but is not ideal.

Out My window said...

Good for you on all your saving skills. I dread pipe breaks.

terricheney said...

We made the switch to warm water years ago for that very reason, only it was powder detergent not pods that wouldn't dissolve. Ditto for powder and pods in the dishwasher. Hence we now use liquid detergents. John does most laundry and chooses warm due to the line of work he does and the exposure to so much 'stuff'.

No frozen pipes here this week but a good lesson to my children why an alternate heat source might be wise, as well as asking questions about how we keep our pipes from freezing etc. They will be new to country living and these are things they need to know before hand.