Friday, October 12, 2018

Frugal Friday: After Michael

Hurricane aftermath first... Michael came by my area as a category one hurricane.  We had gusty winds and a bit of rain but no real damage.  A few neighbors did suffer some damage, but overall my area is in good shape.  Our power went out as expected.  It was back on in about 17 hours compared to 18 hours after Irma last year.  We will be cleaning up piles of limbs/branches, but I am thankful to be safe.


Frugal doings for this week -


  1. We did not need to buy many supplies to weather the storm.  We had containers on hand to store water as opposed to buying water.  We had plenty of rechargeable batteries.  We had non-perishable foods to eat.  Not opening the refrigerators or freezers allowed them to stay cold while the power was out.
  2. W dropped me off at an appointment and went to the grocery store to buy pumpkins.  After he picked me up, I realized he was overcharged.  We went back to the store where I argued for a refund.  That included pointing out that even though the sale ad ended on a particular date the prices were still good on that same date. 
  3. The rabbits ate extra produce from my parents' garden. 
  4. I used a gift card earned through MyPoints to cut the price on some Command strips for putting up pictures in the bedroom and craft room. 
  5. W found a prop for us to use for our trunk or treat decorations later this month.  I will share more about that later.  It is frugal since it is something we already had on hand.  I am making most of the other decorations. 

1 comment:

Out My window said...

Isn't it aggravating when you have to argue for the sale price. You have to watch the stores like a hawk any more.