Sunday, December 16, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

How to Bake by Nick Malgieri is another wonderful collection of recipes.  I like all of the helpful tips and information at the beginning of each recipe.  The cookbook is a good resource for both novice and accomplished bakers.  The tart section was my favorite of all.  The cookie chapter was a very close second.  Nick Malgieri's recipes and techniques are always hits.  The easy to follow directions give me confidence to try any recipe - maybe even croissants!

I was thrilled to get a preview copy of The Southern Living Party Cookbook by Elizabeth Heiskell.  It was everything that I expected.  The recipes are perfect Southern fare  I found myself marking recipe after recipe and immediately pairing it with an upcoming party.  The table and serving ideas were a great addition.  I loved the idea of using fig leaves in vases.  It was nice to have a traditional Southern cookbook.

Martina's Kitchen Mix by Martina McBride includes a mix of new style recipes and some Southern oddities.  I love that the recipes are fairly simple.  The slow cooker chicken tikka masala is on my to try list even though I will have to shop online for a couple of the spices.  The chipotle chicken taco salad will be a regular summer meal at my house.  Among the oddities is a banana and mayonnaise dish.  For you non-Southerners, bananas and mayonnaise are amazing together.  The pictures are a nice mix of the finished dishes and the author. 

Amy Andrychowicz's Vertical Vegetables makes me wish I did not have piles and piles of free range chickens.  Otherwise I would fill my yard with her vertical creations.  The book starts off with gardening basics and choosing what to grow vertically.  The next three chapters are filled with guidelines and plans for building a variety of projects including trellises and hanging planters.  My favorite project is the self-standing living art - a planter/picture frame combo displayed on an easel.  I will make a spot for one or maybe more of these in my yard come spring. 

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

1 comment:

Amy Andrychowicz said...

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed my book! Hope you have lots of fun building your projects this spring! :-)