Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Companion Gardening - Marigolds

This is turning into garden week here.  Along with the fern I bought at Lowe's, I also found marigolds on clearance.  To start I had a tray of 18 marigolds marked at $4 in my cart.  A bit more digging found six packs marked at $0.50.  I ended up with 36 marigolds for $3.  This was great since the seeds I planted never sprouted. 

I prefer to keep my garden as organic as possible.  I hate the thought of using chemicals to get rid of pests.  Marigolds are one of the best natural pest repellents.  I used them last year to keep worms and other bad bugs off my tomato plants.  I was thrilled with how well they worked. 

I knew I wanted marigolds in my garden again.  I had enough to put in with my tomato and pepper plants.  I also added them to my mom's plants.  Three dollars for a pest repellent is a bargain!  Even better it only has to be applied once.


1 comment:

Helena said...

excellent value for money!!! aren't they just so cheerful!!