Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Freezer Cooking - Burritos and Mini Cheeseburgers

I finished up some freezer cooking yesterday and focused on heat and eat meals.  The heating can be done in the microwave so the meals are super quick.  First I made burritos using a recipe from Money Saving Mom.  I used ground venison and made my own refried beans.  I do want to try making my own tortillas and enchilada sauce but decided not to push it this time around.  After everything simmered together, I put just over one-fourth of a cup of filling in each tortilla. 


Then I folded each one up and wrapped them in waxed paper.  I put them in gallon freezer bags.


From the recipe I was able to make 23 burritos.  I was curious to see the cost per burrito.  Here is my spending:

wheat tortillas - $6.42
pinto beans (1lb.) - $0.99 (two cups leftover)
enchilada sauce - $2.76 (with some leftover for next time)
cheese - $2.51
venison - free
onion - free
garlic - $0.25
seasonings - minimal cost

Total:  $12.93 or $0.56 per burrito 

I think making my own tortillas would save a bundle.  Next time I will only need to buy one can of enchilada sauce if I decide not to make my own.  Of course these are made with basic ingredients and lower in sodium than purchased burritos.

Next up are the mini-cheeseburgers.  I baked these.  I sprinkled dried minced onions on a large baking sheet.  I topped that with a mixture of ground venison and beef.  Then I sprinkled on a bit of seasoning salt.


When these finished baking, I cut them in pieces and frozen them.  Once frozen I topped each with a slice of cheese.  I made my own hamburger buns using my butter roll recipe.  I just made them smaller than my usual hamburger buns.


I also wrapped these in waxed paper and put in gallon freezer bags.  I ended up with 18 mini-cheeseburgers.


The cost for these was much less.  The venison and beef were free.  I spent $2 on a package of cheese slices and only used half.  I may have had $1.50 in ingredients for the buns.

Even if I figure high at a total of $3.  That comes to $0.17 per mini-cheeseburger.  I still need to make a few calzones to add to the freezer and will make pizza dough this week.  A little work in advance makes for easier meals later.

No comments: