Saturday, May 5, 2012

Extra Frugal

A reader posted a comment asking for tips for being extra frugal.  As it happens I am trying to be extra frugal this month.  We had a triple hit to the budget in April.  While we have money in long-term savings, this is not to be touched except for a dire emergency.

I think the best way to be extra frugal is to do without.  Each couple or individual has to decide what they are willing to do without.  Here are a few things we do without:

Satellite TV - A little over a year ago, we bought a Roku.  This is a great device that connects to the television.  It streams Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, news programs, and other free content.  There are some additional paid options.  We use our laptop connected to the TV to watch current programs through Hulu.  I was even able to watch all of the NCAA basketball tournament and paid only $4.  Our monthly bill went from around $80 to just $8.

Eating Out - There are not great restaurants near us.  Truthfully we just do not enjoy it.  We also eat at home for health reasons.  Occasionally we will pick up a meal, but these are few and far between.

Paper napkins and other disposables - Several years ago I bought a big stack of cloth napkins on clearance.  I quit buying paper napkins.  I also use old washcloths as cleaning rags.  These get tossed into the washer with other laundry. 

Most convenience foods - I find that I cook more and more from scratch.  This past week I made a double batch of waffles to freeze.  I make my own taco seasoning which can be mixed up for just pennies.  I even tried to go back to the convenience foods and found that the taste was just awful.  There are some convenience items that we enjoy, but most stuff is homemade.

 A few other frugal tips:

Use what you have - See if you have a suitable substitute before you go buy an item.  I shopped in my craft supplies for things to make a baby gift recently.  I planned my menu for this month based on foods we have on hand.

Go meatless - At least once (or more) a week eat a meatless meal.  A few of our favorites are spaghetti, homemade bean burritos or enchiladas, or a vegetable frittata.  If you are not ready to go meatless, cut back on the amount of meat used in a recipe.  I can save by using half meat and half beans in some recipes.

Try a garden - Even if you only have room for containers, you can still grow a garden.  I have plenty of room to grow a huge garden, and I still choose containers many times.  Tomatoes and peppers grow well in large buckets.  One plant will pay for itself many times over.  Lettuce is another great container item.  It can grow in a shallow container.  I am growing lettuce in about three inches of soil right now.  Pick up a packet of mixed lettuce seeds.  A 4-5 oz container of organic lettuce is $4.  A packet of seeds is around $2.  You will come out ahead the first time you harvest.  Leaf lettuces will continue to grow until the heat overtakes them.  

Buy used - I keep an eye on eBay for clothing brands that I know fit me well.  Shop at yard sales.  Remember my $2 four-slice toaster purchase?  A new one would have cost me at least $25. 

Swagbucks - If you only earn one $5 Amazon gift card a month, that is $60 a year that can be used for purchasing items you need or for gifts.  This is free money!

What are some of your frugal tips?  What does your family do without?

3 comments:

Susan in SC said...

Great frugal tips for all of us!

Lorita said...

Great tips, Dawn!
Some things I do without - a smart phone. My cell phone is probably considered an antique by now. It doesn't take pictures, nor access internet, or have GPS. It just makes calls and can text but never use that. I use Tracfone so have no monthly charges or contract, and just by 60 minutes every 3 months so it costs around $8 a month. I did splurge several months ago and spent an extra $20 to have my minutes doubled each time I buy more.

Another way to save is just not go shopping. I stay out of stores as much as possible. I try to limit trips to the grocery store to once or twice a month now, and stick to my list, not buy junk food and impulse purchases unless it is a real bargain and something I really need and had planned to buy eventually.

Helena said...

not only good tips for being frugal but also great tips for being environmental Dawn! Also, if you manage to cut back on meat more than 1 day a week, you are even more environmental - meat production and rearing animals are the greatest contributor to CO2 - as well as protecting your cardiovascular system. :o)