Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sewing: Pillow Shams

This is a photo of our couch.  It is quite comfortable but hot during the summer months.  Last year I purchased a lightweight cover that can just be thrown over it.  It worked well, but we were left with the same pillows. 

This year I decided to sew  some pillow shams.  I measured the width that I needed and added a bit to allow for the seams.


Then I folded up one end of the fabric and measured.  I subtracted one inch to get the measurement from the second fold.


With the right sides folded in toward each other, I then sewed up each side.  (I apologize for the lack of pictures regarding that step.)  I then turned the pillow sham to the right side.  This gave me a nice pocket area to insert the pillow.  I did not hem the ends of the short pieces.  I really only need this to last through the summer as I plan to make a nicer cover for next year.

Here is the updated couch with the pillow shams.  They are not a great match but will do the job over the next few months.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hi Dawn, you have been busy! I think your couch cover looks really nice.
And your freezer meals looks good too. I never thought about freezer burgers and they look delicious.

Susan in SC said...

I love to make pillow covers! You are really busy with your sewing.