Saturday, October 3, 2015

Book Review: Called for Life

I think most everyone can remember the news story of the first person treated for Ebola in America.  I do not watch much news coverage, but I distinctly remember watching Dr. Kent Brantly step out of an ambulance and walk into the hospital.

Called for Life:  How Loving Our Neighbor Led Us into the Heart of the Ebola Epidemic by Kent and Amber Brantly with David Thomas takes that basic news coverage to another level.  It puts human faces and names with the generic stories of the Ebola outbreak.  The book begins with the story of how Kent and Amber Brantly met and eventually became missionaries in Africa.  It transitions into the start of the Ebola outbreak and to how Kent Brantley first became sick.


I enjoyed how the story unfolded from both Kent's and Amber's points of view.  I started the book and read a couple of chapters.  Two days later I had intentions of reading a couple more chapters.  Instead I read until I finished the entire book.  The story was both fascinating and heart breaking.  It was a story that needed to be told.  Called for Life is a book that I will recommend and share.

disclosure:  I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: