Sunday, October 4, 2015

Weekly Savings

I had to go into town to volunteer at the nursing home on Monday.  I went straight there and back home spending nothing than a little gas.

Wednesday was another trip to town to pick out a tub and a shower insert.  I stopped at the grocery store and only bought 2 gallons of milk.

I lined dried all of our laundry working around the cloudy, misty weather.

I started back doing Swagbucks.  I decided that I could use some of the Amazon gift cards to buy general things for the new house for nothing out of pocket.  That will free up some money for other things.

I taught a private computer lesson at the local technical college.  I was able to pick up some paperwork for the new house on this day too.  I planned ahead for an easy lunch when I got home.  I made potato salad the day before and put ribs in the crockpot before leaving the house.  It kept me from picking up anything easy at the grocery store on the way home.

We had a dinner at church today.  I made deviled eggs (free eggs from my chickens), layered salad (with lettuce leftover for a salad later this week), six pans of dinner rolls (brought home leftovers to freeze), and a key lime cake (for $1.50 worth of limes).  I also made some sauces for the chicken tenders using items from my pantry.

I received $2 in Amazon credit for Kindle books by choosing the No-Rush shipping rather than Prime.  I was not in a hurry for the items and can use the credit for a free or discounted book.

I picked peppers and herbs from the garden.

I stopped at Dollar General on the way home from teaching to pick up dog and cat foods.  The dog food was on sale and had a $1 coupon on the package.  Both foods are cheaper there than anywhere else.

I have been making orange envelopes to go along with my homemade Halloween stationery.  I make the stationery and envelopes from copy paper.  It is much cheaper than buying stationery.  I use a Martha Stewart scoring board and glue sticks bought on sale at back to school time to make the envelopes.

I stopped buying air fresheners since they aggravate my allergies.  Instead I have been using essential oils in my diffuser to freshen the house.  It is cheaper and smells much better.

I picked up a few bananas and used fruit already on hand to make a big bowl of fruit salad.  It seems that when there are bits and pieces of fruit we will eat it better when made into a fruit salad.

I made a double batch of mini spinach quiche.  These and a salad make a nice meal for me when W is at work.

1 comment:

terricheney said...

For so many fruits I am allowed only 1/2 of a whole (banana, apple, orange) and I end up with these halves leftover in the fridge. I've been making mixed fruit cups with some of them and find we eat them a whole lot more quickly if I do, just as you have discovered.