Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Pantry Challenge

Now that the holidays are pretty much over, I feel the need to do a winter pantry challenge.  The extra push might have came Christmas night.  My cousin came out of my pantry and announced that in the event of a zombie apocalypse he was coming to my house.  I am all for being prepared, but even I am willing to admit we need to eat what we have rather than buy more.

My goal will be to plan meals and snacks based mostly on what is on hand (pantry and freezers).  W will still want his milk and cereal.  I do plan to make a few batches of homemade granola as a cereal substitute.  I will purchase dairy and produce as needed to round out meals.

Today would be my normal grocery day so I am choosing now to start.  My plan is to go through January 31 which will be five weeks.  Half of the savings will go toward paying off the small amount of debt accrued from building our new house.  The other half will go toward future grocery purchases - mainly stocking up on sale items.

Anyone else on board?  Feel free to make up your own rules and timeline.

No comments: