Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Pantry Challenge Aftermath

I do not want anyone to think that just because the pantry challenge ended that I went crazy with grocery shopping.  I did stick with my change of using cash for my purchases.  I increased my budget to $40 per week.  I am still focused on making good use of what is in the pantry.  I planned meals this past week around what was on hand. 


I did splurge a bit on some America's Test Kitchen cookbooks (*Amazon Kindle Daily Deals) this past week.  I am looking to cook healthier foods.  I got a vegetarian cookbook.  W is quite open to meatless meals, and I thought this would give me some more ideas.  I also bought a Mediterranean cookbook for some healthier options.  Finally I ordered a cooking for two cookbook.  If for nothing else, I can use the cookbook to make meals for myself while W is at work.  The cost of the cookbook was just over one frozen grocery store dinner.  The food I make will be healthier and tastier.




I did have some additional spending.  You see while most of America made resolutions to lose weight in 2018 I am trying to gain some.  I do not want to do it by eating junk food and empty calories.  I spent on better for me food - nuts, dried fruit, Larabars, and protein powder.  This was separate from my regular grocery spending.  I have tried eating just what we had around the house with no real progress so it was time to order some foods with additional calories.  I got better deals on Amazon than I could locally. 


Is anyone else dealing with health necessary food spending?  I know some people have allergies and intolerances that can make grocery budgeting a challenge.  Do you feel that eating healthier has an effect on your grocery spending?

No comments: