Monday, February 26, 2018

Weekly Goals Update: Week 8

1. Disaster Preparedness
Week 8 is emergency sanitation.  I will say that I always keep at least a 2 month supply of toilet paper.  Part of the reason is that it gives me time to search for sales.  I figure if we go longer than 2 months without assistance in an emergency situation I will be looking at a "Walking Dead" situation where we would be scavenging for supplies.  I keep an ongoing list of places (in my head) I would search first.  I was confused by the short term option of emptying your toilet of water and using a plastic bag.  Being out in the country we have a septic system.  When there is no water, we just manually refill the tank and flush as necessary.  For those of you on water systems, is that not an option?  I do keep trying to talk W into a solar powered composting toilet but no luck so far.

2.  Makeover the Garden
I will not get anything done with that this week.  The first thing I have on W's to do list for next week is secure the garden.  Then Toby and I will be spending plenty of time out there getting everything in order.

3.  Organize Recipes
As expected I spent too much time in the yard to work on this goal.  It will not be long before it is too hot to go outside, and I will work on it then.

4.  Have 13 No Spend Grocery Weeks
It did not happen last week.  This week I have to buy some things for a church dinner and a big breakfast meeting so I will be shopping some.  I expect many of these will get knocked out when the garden is in full swing.

5.  Focus on Saving
I have now gotten into the habit of stopping at two different grocery stores for our shopping trips.  Each store has items that are significantly cheaper.  I also bought some things from Amazon that were cheaper.  It takes a bit more time, but shopping around can net big savings.

6.  Have Fun
This past weekend I spent both afternoons watching college basketball.  I love, love, love college basketball.  This time of year I know that I have just over a month left before it is over so I tend to watch anyone and everyone.  Conference tournaments start this week so I plan to take time to watch as many games as I can.

1 comment:

Out My window said...

I think you are doing great on your goals.