Sunday, March 8, 2020

Sunday Book Reviews

The Way I Heard It by Mike Rowe is a collection of stories from his podcast.  It is a mix of history and personal stories from his life.  Readers will be reminded of Paul Harvey.  This is easily my favorite book of the year thus far.  I was constantly stopping to to say to my husband, "Hey, listen to this."  I especially loved the stories about Deadliest Catch star Phil Harris.  The stories are short and easy to read, but I found myself wanting to read just one more time and again.  I was truly sad to reach the end of the book and will be looking into the podcast series.

This is Going to Hurt by Adam Key is marketed as the secret diaries of a medical resident.  Unfortunately the title refers how I felt while reading the book.  I appreciate that medical residents have a strenuous and stressful schedule.  Mr. Key assumes that the rest of us are complete idiots who have never heard of any medical procedures or illnesses/conditions.  The fact that practically everything had to be explained was a red flag that he was searching for filler.  The secret diaries were just brief lines for the most part of things that may (or may not) have happened to the author.  Better books dealing with the same subject are available.  I am encouraging you to skip this one and avoid the pain I felt!

The Pollinator Victory Garden by Kim Eierman is a resource for those looking to attract a wide variety of pollinators.  I love seeing my garden full of bees, butterflies, wasps, moths, and other insects so I was anxious to read this book.  This book is better for beginning gardeners than long time ones.  While it had a variety of information, it is much too basic for those who have been gardening for years.  I do recommend this for general information, but I encourage people to find books geared toward their growing region for the best information.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: