Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Don't Cry Over Spoiled Milk

Okay I know the saying is spilled milk, but spoiled milk is pretty bad too.  I had an entire half gallon of spoiled milk.  Considering the price of milk that is enough to make anyone a little teary eyed.  I have something else though . . . . . . . . . tomato plants!!


Milk is great for tomato plants.  They love calcium and need it for healthy tomatoes.  Have you ever had tomatoes that rotted on the bottom end while on the plant?  They were deficient in calcium.  Anytime I have spoiled milk, I give it to the tomato plants.  The extra calcium at this stage will help the plants when it is time for the tomatoes.  While I was a bit annoyed at the spoiled milk, I was happy it did not go to waste.

3 comments:

Susan in SC said...

Who knew?! I will keep my spoiled milk for the tomato plants from now on!!

Lorita said...

I really need to remember this! I have heard it before but keep forgetting it. And now that I have tiny tomato plants started, I will have to use this tip. Since they are only about 1" high at the moment, is this too early for the milk?

Dawn said...

Lorita, I put milk on mine as soon as they sprouted. If I had some spoiled milk when the seeds were planted, I would have used it then.