Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Homemade Pork and Beans

Pork and beans are an occasional side dish as my house.  I used to be able to keep a few cans on the shelves thanks to sales, but the sales seem to be less frequent.  As a result I started searching for a recipe to make them myself.  I found a recipe for Baked Beans with Tomatoes on the Hillbilly Housewife website.

I opted to cook them in the crockpot rather than the oven to keep from heating up the house.  The coloring is different from purchased canned beans.  The flavor was really close though.  I would also like to point out that they is much more pork in my homemade pork and beans.  I ended up with the equivalent of six cans of beans.  I am sure I saved money over the current cost of purchasing the pork and beans. 

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

those look good. I've been wanting to some veg. ones and there was a link on your link for some that look really good too.
thank you