Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Homebaked Goodies

I am trying to keep some homebaked goodies on hand rather than eating processed foods.  I admit it is more work, but freshly made foods are so yummy.  First I baked  a batch of oatmeal cookies.  Part of them went into containers for my husband's lunch box.  I put some into a container for him to eat.  The trash collectors happened to be at our house as I was dividing up the cookies.  I put some cookies in a bag and rushed it out to them.


Next was a treat for me - Cranberry Zucchini Muffins.  I had been craving these and had no shredded zucchini in the freezer.  A week ago zucchini from Florida was on sale at the grocery store.  I picked up a pack and finally got around to making the muffins.  I stocked up on cranberries around Thanksgiving in anticipation of zucchini season.  I made a double batch of muffins and put two portions of zucchini in the freezer. 


See all those gorgeous cranberries.  I love cranberries and can eat them raw.  I actually doubled the amount of cranberries in the recipe.  Luckily for me, my husband hates cranberry zucchini muffins.  I kept a few out and put the rest in the freezer.  A quick heating in the microwave makes them take almost as good as freshly baked.

While I was baking, I decided to experiment just a little.  I put dollops of cookie dough and cupcake paper lined muffin cups of muffin mix in the freezer.  Both are unbaked.  In a couple of weeks I will bake these and see how they turn out. 

While I was baking I was surprised with a sweet gift of freshly picked blueberries.  I kept several portions out for fresh eating.  The rest went into the freezer.  I see blueberry muffins in my baking future!

2 comments:

Helena said...

I love bluberries mmmmm - just bought blueberry yoghurt! I also love cranberries in baked stuff. I have some frozen ones to use up. Well done you, very inspiring!

Susan in SC said...

I'm coming to your house to eat some of these goodies! Oatmeal cookies - my favorite! Care to share your recipe?