Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Freezer Cooking - Mushrooms

I suppose the title is a bit misleading since no actual cooking was involved.  I saw a pin regarding freezing mushrooms.  The original person had gotten a great deal on mushrooms.  I am happy if I can find mushrooms 50 cents off.  When I did I decided to stock up.  I like to use mushrooms in sauces and on pizzas. 

I sliced up three packs of mushrooms and spread them out as evenly as possible.  I wanted them to be separate rather than one big clump. 

This was after spending some time in the freezer.  By time I mean a few days because I forgot about them in second freezer.

Once frozen the mushroom slices went into a gallon freezer bag and back into the freezer.  I have yet to try them.  I could see no major changes that would affect the taste when cooked.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

great idea Dawn. I don't waste much fresh produce but mushrooms seem to spoil before I finish using up a whole pack of fresh one.

Susan in SC said...

Great idea. My husband would be happy if I put mushrooms into EVERYTHING!!

Lorita said...

I agree with Rhonda. I have thrown too many away. Living alone I usually can't use them up soon enough so this is good to know. I do keep a jar of dried mushrooms in the pantry and when they are reconstituted they work in a pinch. Since others in our group have asked to have the 'subscribe by email' available and I do not see it here. Would you mind adding that too?

Vicki in UT said...

I usually have a few frozen mushrooms in the freezer. Very handy for adding a handful to a sauce or an omlet. They work great, IMHO.