Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pantry Cleanout and Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

Yesterday I got the idea to reorganize my pantry so I would have shelf space to store items for my Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes.  While I was reorganizing I ended up cleaning out.  I had to throw out several items.  Actually it was about half a garbage bag full of stuff.  I noticed everything I was tossing out was processed, convenience items.  That made me realize that I practically never throw out basic ingredients.  All of the really reiterated the idea that I need to buy less processed stuff.  Sure it is easier to just toss it in the cart at the grocery store, but it is just as easy to toss in flour, butter, sugar, oatmeal, etc.  I honestly find that cooking does not take up an enormous amount of time.  I can usually make enough to freeze the extras for use later. 

I am working on getting the processed junk out of my pantry for good.  Not only are basic foods healthier they also produce less waste.  I packaged my oatmeal cookies in reusable containers.  I can recycle the flour bags.  The eggs came from my chickens and required no packaging.  The shells went into the compost pile.  My only trash was the butter wrappers.

Now for the good part ~ the oatmeal cookie recipe.  I got it from an issue of Martha Stewart Living.  You can find the Anytime Oatmeal Cookie recipe here on the website.  I never add the raisins since my husband does not like raisins.  I also make my cookies a bit larger.  I usually end up with 2 - 2 1/2 dozen as opposed to the four dozen the recipe should make.  The recipe is very easy, and of course, it uses basic ingredients. 

1 comment:

Susan in SC said...

Thank you Dawn! We all love oatmeal cookies here (with or without the raisins!)