Saturday, February 13, 2016

Weekend Book Review: The Bee-Friendly Garden

I originally chose The Bee-Friendly Garden because we have added honeybees to our property, and I wanted them to be happy.  This book seemed perfect for teaching me how to make my garden more enticing to the honeybees.


I was pleasantly surprised that it is so much more.  The Bee-Friendly Garden begins with an explanation of why bee friendly gardens are important.  Then it talks about the varieties of bees including all of the types of native bees and not just honeybees.  I became even more inspired to add more plants to my garden to attract all types of bees.

In addition to chapters on the types of plants for a bee garden as well as plants to include in an edible garden, the book gives hints on designing your garden.  Readers are also provided with input on becoming bee activists.  One of my favorite sections is the guide to plants separated by region.  I also loved all of the color photographs of the types of bees.  I can hardly wait to go bee watching in my own garden.

Whether you are interested in making your vegetable garden more productive or helping the bee population, this is a wonderful reference.  I plan to keep this in my garden library and will continue to refer to it.  

disclosure:  I received this book from Blogging for Books but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: