Saturday, February 27, 2016

Weekend Book Review

I am combining a couple of reviews in today's weekend book review post.  I may be doing this more often as I have been reading more lately but not all of the review require a full post.

Wedding Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke
I have been a fan of Joanne Fluke for years.  I enjoy her books as much for the recipes as the story.  I was excited to read her latest book Wedding Cake Murder which was released this week.  It pains me a bit to say that I found the book disappointing.  The conversations between characters were a bit too artificial even for a fictional cozy mystery.  Imagine a B-rated movie and you have an idea of how the dialog went.  I read forever - close to half of the book - before I got to the murder.  I am not sorry that I read this book, but it is definitely not as good as previous books in the series.

The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire by Charles Morris
I love historical non-fiction books and The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire did not disappoint.  It was written in the style of the time immediately after the earthquake occurred.  It is not as easy to follow if you have something against non-modern writing.  I found it interesting as Mr. Morris discussed not only the earthquake and fire but other events of the time.  The story does not follow a set timeline but does jump around.  Overall it was a good account of a very tragic event in US history.

disclosure:  I received both e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: