Wednesday, May 10, 2017

In the Garden

I was excited to finally receive some of the new plants that I ordered.  I ordered several herbs from Colonial Creek Farm.  I am not sure how I stumbled across this website.  I had it bookmarked since last year.  Since I had some extra garden money left, I ordered a few plants.

I was really pleased with how well the box was packaged.  All of the plants were in excellent condition.  I am always looking for different or unusual plants, and Colonial Creek Farm offers a wide variety.  Here is what I ordered.


Texas Tarragon:  Reading up on French tarragon convinced me that it was not a good option for the very hot weather my area has.  I then discovered Texas tarragon.  Since it is not a perennial for my zone, I will be planting it in a pot so I can overwinter it in the greenhouse.


Russian Comfrey:  I use comfrey in a homemade salve.  Since one of my goals is to be more self-sufficient, it made sense to grow my own.  I chose this variety, because it is sterile.  In the future I might grown common comfrey.  One Russian comfrey plant should supply all I need though.



Banana Mint:  I love mints.  I decided to slowly build a variety in my garden.  Colonial Creek offers 45 varieties of mint.  I thought the banana mint was unusual but useful at the same time.


Bay Laurel:  I always use bay leaves in cooking so this was an obvious choice to add to the garden.  It was much larger than I expected it to be.  I will plant it in a large pot and may eventually move it to the yard depending on how large it gets.


Munstead Lavender:  I already have one lavender plant, but I have been looking for a good one for culinary use.  This variety also handles the heat and humidity well.


Tangerine Sage:  I added pineapple sage to my garden last year and loved it.  I used the leaves in my herbal teas and just loved the scent of it in the garden.  Tangerine sage is also a culinary variety.  It has a light citrus scent.

I was extremely happy with everything that I ordered.  I will definitely order from Colonial Creek Farm again.

No comments: