Sunday, May 7, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews


Kale to the Queen by Nell Hampton is the first book in the Kensington Palace Chef Mystery series.  Carrie Ann moves from Chicago to London to start her new job as personal chef to the duke and duchess at Kensington Palace.  Things are going well until one assistant turns up dead and the other winds up in jail.  I started this book with mixed feelings, but by the end I was wishing book two was out.  The characters are fun and have ample room for development.  The setting is interesting, and the mystery kept my attention to the end.  This is a nice start to a new series.

Horace Winter Says Goodbye by Conor Bowman is a fictional novel about living.  Horace retires from his job, which aside from his mother was the main focus of his life.  Shortly after he receives a life changing medical diagnosis.  The story can be a little hard to follow as it jumps from past to present.  Horace also compares everyone to either a butterfly or a moth.  Once I adjusted to this, the story pulled me in.  Horace's choices affect himself as well as all those he encounters.  The book is a reminder that it is never too late to start living.

Kathi Daley's Treasure in Paradise is book seven in the TJ Jensen Mystery series.  This is the first book I have read in the series.  Reading some of the prior books might have helped, but I was not at all lost.  TJ and her family are headed to Gull Island to oversee renovations on a friend's resort property.  The vacation starts off badly when a body is found in the attic.  The local police seem to be covering up a murder, and TJ sets out to determine why.  The setting and characters are enjoyable.  The mystery kept me guessing until the end.  I do plan to add the previous books to my reading list.



disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: