Sunday, January 20, 2019

Weekend Book Reviews

The Crock-Pot Ladies Big Book of  Slow Cooker Dinners by Heidi Kennedy, Katie Handing, and Sarah Ince is full of recipes for more than just dinner.  It includes everything from appetizers to desserts.  I was happy to see that the recipes went beyond the "add these ingredients and cream of whatever soup".  I also liked that the size of crock pot required was clearly noted for each recipe.  I served the Beefy Au Gratin Potatoes after a day of running errands.  They were full of flavor, but the potatoes were not mushy.  I have marked several other recipes to try which is the sign of a good cookbook. 

Rachele Carmona's The Art of Crochet Blankets features designs inspired by modern artists.  I found the designs to be beautiful and varied.  This book is best for more experienced crocheters.  I did find some of the blankets to be on the small side (just over 2 foot by 3 foot).  For several of the patterns an enormous variety of yarn colors are listed - over 26 - which would bankrupt me.  It would also have been nice to see a good overall photo of each completed blanket.  If you are looking for unconventional crochet blankets, however, this would be an excellent book.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: