Sunday, January 6, 2019

Weekend Book Reviews

Never Home Alone by Rob Dunn takes a look at the microbes, bugs, and other organisms that inhabit our homes alongside us.  The author made this topic thoroughly entertaining and educational at the same time.  The thought of bugs and fungi inside my home should have made my skin crawl.  Instead it made me want to start searching the windowsills and corners to identify the things living in my home.  I am sure I drove my husband a bit crazy with my constant "did you know...." while reading.  This is one of the best non-fiction books I have ever read.

Mikita Brottman's An Unexplained Death is about the mysterious death of Rey Rivera at the Belvedere in Baltimore.  The book had great potential with the mystery surrounding Mr. Rivera's sudden death.  I wish the author had been more focused.  She jumped from relevant topics to random things from her everyday life.  She honed in as much on past suicides at the Belvedere as she did on the death of Rey Rivera.  I would have preferred a more centralized story. 

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews. All opinions are my own!

No comments: