Monday, July 16, 2012

Low Sugar Peach Jam

While reading a recent issue of one of my favorite country living magazines, Countryside, I was introduced to a natural pectin.  Pomona's Universal Pectin does not need sugar to jell.  You can use less or even no sugar in your homemade jams and jellies.  Pomona's Universal Pectin is basically a citrus pectin that is activated by calcium. 

I ordered some from Amazon.  You might think at first glance that it is quite expensive.  Each one ounce box makes two to four batches of jam.  You are saving additional money by using less sugar.  I also have to rave about the taste.  My peanut butter and peach jam sandwich tasted like I had put a fresh peach on rather than jam.  Yum!  Here is how it works...

Before you start, you mix up the calcium water.  A package of powdered calcium is included.  This stores in the refrigerator for months.  I also needed four cups of peaches (I used ones I had frozen), 1/4 cup lemon juice, Pomona's pectin, and one cup of sugar.  My previous pectin needed four cups of sugar, and I did not dare use less as it would not jell properly.


I put the peaches, lemon juice, and 4 teaspoons of calcium water in a pot and brought that to a boil.  While that was heating I mixed 3 teaspoons of pectin in with my sugar.


Once the peach mixture boils, add in the sugar/pectin mixture and stir for a minute or so until it is dissolved and mixed it well.  Bring the mixture back to a boil and you are ready to can as usual.  There is no need for the multi-minute full, rolling boil.  Easy, right?


My finished jam pictures did not turn out well.  In addition to the peach jam, I also used Pomona's Universal Pectin to make hot pepper jelly.  I used one-third of the amount of sugar my regular hot pepper jelly needed.  I will not go back to the "other pectin".  I have seen the lighter sugar side of jams and jellies.  Both the peach jam and hot pepper jelly set up perfectly. 

I would highly recommend this pectin if you want homemade jams and jellies that are also lower in sugar.  It is sold through Amazon and at some natural food stores. 

No comments: