Saturday, January 30, 2016

Weekend Book Review: Louisiana Saves the Library

I have been looking for something other than just cozy mysteries to read and stumbled onto Louisiana Saves the Library by Emily Beck Cogburn.  I would best describe it as women's fiction.  The main character, Louisiana (aka Louise), is a single mom who moved from Minnesota to Louisiana for job that ends unexpectedly.  She takes the only job she can find at a small public library in Alligator Bayou Parish.  The author does a good job of depicting small town life.


Louise and her friend, Sylvia, soon turn things at the floundering library upside down in an attempt to bring life back to it.  Add in a library director who is resistant to change and Louise's critical ex-husband and new wife moving to the area and life is anything buy simple for Louise.

I do have a couple of problems with the book.  First, the characters could have been developed a bit more.  Several of the characters seemed one-dimensional and lacked depth.  My second issue is that the ending was rushed.  Many things were wrapped up with an "after the fact" description.  The story was good, and it was a nice change from my usual books.  I am looking forward to more from Emily Beck Cogburn.

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: