Sunday, January 31, 2016

Weekend Book Review: Dearly Departed

  
Dearly Departed by Hy Conrad is book two in the Amy's Travel Mystery series.  I had not read the first book prior to this one.  I was a bit put off by the numerous references to book one, but it was not enough to make me dislike this book.  Amy is the co-owner of a New York City travel agency.  She teams up with another travel agency to fulfill the last wishes of MacGregor, a surprisingly rich maid who wishes to send her rich former employers on a trip around the world.  One death along the way is compounded by an "accident" later on leaves Amy with no choice but to solve the mystery rather than let her travel agency get a bad reputation.

While Amy was likeable enough, I was more impressed with the secondary characters Fanny and Marcus.  Fanny (Amy's mother) and Marcus (Amy's boyfriend) are the true standouts of this book.  Their attempts to investigate while back home in New York are entertaining and add to the story.

This might not be my favorite cozy mystery series, but it is definitely worth checking out.  The book features several sub-plots that will keep readers guessing until the end.

disclosure:  I received this e-book from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: