Sunday, January 17, 2016

Weekend Book Review: Spark Joy

I first saw something about the KonMari method of decluttering while browsing on Pinterest one night.  A little more research led me to Amazon and the books written by Marie Kondo.  Since I will soon (later this year) be moving into a new house, I was intrigued by this method of "tidying up".  I was thrilled when I had the opportunity to review her latest book, Spark Joy:  An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up.


I kept a close eye out for the UPS truck the day the book was to be delivered.  I started reading it as soon as I opened the box.  The compact book is easy to read.  I devoured it in just two days.  The "illustrated" portion of the title is a bit misleading.  The book only contains a few basic illustrations.  I found the information to be invaluable.  I can already look at my current home and see where the problems are.  Before reading this book I would never have considered folding the majority of my clothes and storing them in drawers.  Now I am planning my new closet around that concept.

KonMari covers every area of your home that needs tidying.  Clothes to komono (miscellaneous items) to sentimental items are discussed with guidelines provided for each.  The basic idea is to keep only the items that spark joy for you.  I was a bit concerned when I first read that the author tossed her hammer and used a frying pan to pound nails.  I had to remind myself that my toolbox including my pink hammer sparks joy for me.  Everyone is different, and the book contains no set rules for what should be kept and what should be discarded.

I am inspired to start tidying up now.  One does not need to planning a move for this book to be helpful.  However, I am planning the organization of my new house based on some of the tips in this book.  While there were a few things I was not in agreement on (such as the idea that objects have feelings), I was not disappointed with this book at all.  This book definitely sparks joy for me.

disclosure:  I received this book from Blogging for Books but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

1 comment:

terricheney said...

I am glad to hear that you were inspired by this book...I seriously considered it myself and had noted the same pins on Pinterest you mention. I too am very fond of my little pink hammer, so I don't think I'll use my frying pans, lol. However, I am looking at organization methods for my home because it's getting harder and harder to remember the places where I stash things!