Saturday, August 20, 2016

Weekend Book Reviews: A Pair of Cozy Mysteries

Die, Die Birdie by JR Ripley is book one in the Bird Lover's Mystery Series.  Amy and her best friend, Kim, open a bird supply shop (Birds and Bees) in her hometown in North Carolina.  A few days before the grand opening Amy finds a dead man in her storeroom.  Thanks to her nosy renter she is the prime suspect.  The story line has potential but fell a bit flat in this book for me.  I am hoping it is like the first episode of a new television series and just needs time to develop.  I enjoyed the birds and bees aspect, but the rest does not stand out among the crowd of cozy mysteries.  It was interesting enough that I would give the second book a try though.

Sarah Fox is the author of the new Pancake House Mystery Series.  The first book is The Crepes of Wrath.  Marley agrees to run her cousin Jimmy's pancake house while he is in the hospital recovering from pneumonia.  Things are going smoothly until Jimmy is found murdered.   Marley sets out to solve the mystery and decide what path her life will take now.  I enjoyed the characters and setting of this book.  I can easily see myself seeking out more from this series.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: