Monday, August 29, 2016

Weekly Savings

This covers the past two weeks of savings.

We needed an extra can of paint for the built ins for the living room.  We had purchased untinted paint from Sherwin Williams during a sale.  This meant that we could have it tinted at any time for free (or return it if needed).  That is another plus about shopping at Sherwin Williams.

While digging around for something in the freezer, I noted several items that could be used for easy meals.  I made a note of those and have been using them to stretch my original menu.  Focusing on using what we had meant that I only spent $19 last week at the grocery store.

I ordered several items from thredUP (referral link).  I did place an order only after sorting through my closet.  I saved quite a bit of money and everything was in excellent condition.  I still have several items on my wardrobe wish list and will continue to keep an eye out for those.  Shopping second hand clothing requires some patience, but it is possible to find what you want at a good price.

We returned several unused items to Lowe's for a refund.  That was money that could be used to purchase other needed items.

I received a deposit for a book I sold on Half.com.  I find that very easy to use since I can just post the books and wait for them to sell.  I do price them a bit below average.  Since the books are almost always free, any amount is a profit.

I used the last bit of a fresh pineapple to make a pineapple crisp.  It was a nice dessert made using ingredients on hand and saved the pineapple from being tossed.  Although truthfully the chickens would have preferred the second option.

I baked two loaves of bread in the toaster oven.  My big oven has issues which would require it to be pulled completely out to be worked on.  Since it is hot and we are moving soon, it hardly seems worth the effort right now.

I continue to make use of our regular trash cans for the construction trash.  I fill mine to capacity and have topped off my parents' trash can the past two weeks as well.

My father-in-law came over one day to help W with some work on the new house.  I had picked up a chicken to roast in the slow cooker.  I prefer to buy Springer Mountain Farms chickens.  They do cost more, but the taste is amazing.  We ate dinner.  I shredded the leftover chicken to be used in another meal.  I put the bones in the slow cooker along with carrot, onion, and celery to make broth.  Stretching the chicken makes it more cost effective.

In spite of the busyness I continued to do the usual:  dried laundry outside, packed W's lunch, and ate meals at home.

No comments: