Saturday, February 25, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

A Measure of Murder by Leslie Karst is the second book in the Sally Solari Mystery series.  Since I enjoyed the first I was looking forward to this book.  Sally finds herself joining the local chorus singing Mozart's Requiem.  The chorus is thrown into chaos when one of the singers falls to his death during the first rehearsal.  Sally sets out to solve the murder when running two restaurants.  While I enjoyed the mystery, I wish Sally's life was a bit calmer.  I have no idea how she can do have of the things she does: chorus, two restaurants, active social life, and extra long bike rides.  Just reading about everything exhausts me.  This is not enough to be a negative - yet.  I do think it could become annoying if it does not change in future books.

Miranda James' book, Twelve Angry Librarians, is book eight in the Cat in the Stacks Mystery series. I was happy to get back into the world of librarian Charlie and his Maine Coon cat, Diesel.  Charlie's employer, Athena College, is hosting the Southern Academic Libraries Association conference.  As if that were not stressful enough, one of the attendees is his least favorite person from library school.  Gavin Fong seems to be everyone's least favorite person.  When he is murdered, the suspect list is massive.  This book is just as good as the last one in the series and easily stands on its own.  Charlie, Diesel, and the other characters are charming.  The mystery portion of the book was very good.  A few other side plots to the mystery fit in perfectly and added to the overall story.  I look forward to many more books in this series.

Smugglers and Scones by Morgan C Talbot is the first book in the Moorehaven Mysteries series.  Pippa run the Moorehaven Bed and Breakfast, former home to mystery author Richard Moore and open only to mystery authors.  When Pippa rescues a boat pilot in the middle of the night, she has no idea the secrets that have been just below the surface of Seacrest.  I absolutely loved the twist to the bed and breakfast with the only guests being mystery writers.  The book flowed smoothly, and the characters were engaging.  It is an excellent start to a new series, and I am already anxiously awaiting a second book.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: