Sunday, October 1, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Dial Meow for Murder by Bethany Blake is part of the Lucky Paws Petsitting Mystery series.  I had read the previous book in this series, but it is not necessary.  Daphne is the laid back owner of a petsitting business.  She is the complete opposite of her high strung sister, Piper, and her highly motivated realtor mother.  Daphne agrees to help with a pet fundraiser at a local mansion.  The evening is cut short when the town's wealthy volunteer Lillian is found dead in her bathtub.  I enjoy the characters is this book - both the human and furry ones.  The mystery kept me interested, but the sub-plots were the highlight.  I am already looking forward to the next book.

Meera Lester's A Hive of Homicides is the third book in the Henny Penny Farmette Mystery series.  I had read a previous book in the series, but this one easily stands on its own.  Abby, a former cop, is happy on her farm with her dog and chickens.  She attends a her friend Paola's vow renewal at a local winery and is shocked to witness a shooting.  Paola is seriously injured, and her husband is killed.  Abby cannot completely escape her former profession and begins her own investigation.  In the previous book I had some concerns about this series going forward.  I was completely happy with this book.  The characters and story line flowed well.  I am excited about Abby's character development from this point onward.

Turkey Trot Murder by Leslie Meier is part of the Lucy Stone Mystery series.  Lucy is training for the annual Turkey Trot 5K when she and her canine side kick discover a body in a partially frozen pond.  Wealthy Allison's death is blamed on an overdose, but Lucy has her doubts.  Sadly this cozy mystery strayed into the political area.  Personal opinions are fine, but I read for entertainment not political commentary.  For me it does not matter whether or not I share the opinion, I am tired of politics taking over everything.  While I enjoyed the mystery, the politics ruined the book for me.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: