Saturday, October 7, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

The Backyard Homestead Seasonal Planner by Ann Larkin Hansen gives readers advice on when do necessary chores on the homestead.  It includes chores for the garden, orchard, barn, pasture, and equipment upkeep.  This book provides good guidelines but definitely no hard and fast rules regarding the seasons.  According to this book, my area would be in early summer for the majority of the year.  It is geared more toward those on a larger homestead.  People with established homesteads of that size might find the information too basic.  The information on garden and orchard crops was good.  While the book does include a wealth of information, readers should skim through to see if the information would be helpful for their homesteads.

Raquel Pelzel's Sheet Pan Suppers Vegetarian covers everything from breakfasts to snacks to desserts.  I found that it went beyond sheet pans and neared the casserole dish territory.  While the ingredient lists are long, the recipes have minimal preparation steps.  I was most impressed with the breakfast chapter.  It is filled with dishes that will appeal to vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.  My favorite recipe was the mushroom risotto.  With the variety of recipes included in this book, it offers something for everyone!Ov

The Comfort Food Diaries by Emily Nunn is about her journey to overcome her brother's sudden death.  She is also dealing with the loss of her relationship, her dysfunctional upbringing, and the separation of her family.  The book was well-written but take the discussions of the South with a grain of salt.  The author was fascinated by real dirt roads.  While I have seen many real ones, I have no idea what a fake dirt road would be.  I enjoyed the recipes sprinkled throughout the book.  Overall I found the book interesting.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: