Saturday, October 14, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Cat Among the Pumpkins by Mandy Morton is part of the Hettie Bagshot Mystery series.  Hettie and Tilly are cats and run the No. 2 Feline Detective Agency.  The book features only cats who live in a world just like people.  I wanted to love this book.  I had two problems with it.  The cats were too human for me.  I would have preferred that they were just cats. Second I found everything overly described.  I appreciate the scenes being set up for me, but I like to use my imagination some.  I think this series could be toned down a bit and would be perfect for the preteen crowd.  It is a clever idea.  I just did not care for it as much as I thought I might.

Rich Newman's Ghosts of the Civil War is part ghost story and part history.  The book covers everything from the major well known battles and locations to the lesser known areas of the Civil War.  October always makes me reach for a good ghost story.  I enjoyed Ghosts of the Civil War although it was a big light on the ghost stories.  I would consider it more a travel guide for Civil War ghost hunters.  I do recommend it for those interested in Civil War history with a side of ghosts.

Running Out of Time by Suzanne Trauth is the third book in the Dodie O'Dell Mystery series.  I have read the previous books, but I do not think it is necessary.  Dodie, manager of the Windjammer restaurant, is working on desserts to pair with the theater's new play.  It is a version of Our Town and is called Eton Town.  The production has plenty of problems but none as bad as the body discovered on stage on opening night.  Dodie once again investigates a murder to save the play and the theater.  I like Dodie.  She is fun but very real.  Etonville is a wonderful town full of eccentric characters which add to the story.  I adore this series and am already looking forward to the next book.

Kathi Daley's Fireworks in Paradise is book eight in the TJ Jensen Mystery series.  TJ rushes home from South Carolina when she receives word that her father is in a coma following a serious car accident.  As she begins to piece the story together, it becomes obvious that the wreck was no accident.  TJ and her friend Kyle investigate along with police officer Roy.  The investigation has to be done quietly when Roy's new partner threatens them.  I have read a previous book in this series, but it is not necessary.  I look forward to seeing how the characters progress as the series continues.


disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: