Saturday, October 28, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

Murder Over Mochas by Caroline Fardig is the fifth book in the Java Jive Mystery series.  Juliet is done investigating murders.  She keeps that agreement until her no good ex-fiance Scott dies in front of her.  She is the main suspect.  I have not read any of the previous books, but I did not feel lost.  The mystery was interesting, but the main focus of the book seems to be on Juliet's love life.  That includes her ex-fiance, her ex-boyfriend, and her current boyfriend.  If you lean toward enjoying romance with your cozy mystery, this is a wonderful book.

The first book in the Brie Hooker Mystery series by Linda Lovely is Bones to Pick.  Vegan chef Brie finds herself working and living on a farm after her Aunt Lilly's death.  She takes over several duties to help out her Aunt Eva.  Things take a bad turn after her aunt is accused of murder when the skeletal remains of Eva's long missing husband are uncovered by the farm's pig, Tammy.  I loved the southern setting complete with southern sayings.  This is a nice start to a fun series.  I was less than thrilled with Brie's overactive hormones in the midst of a lust (not love yet) triangle. The mystery was not as strong as it could have been, but I see potential for future books. 

Munchies by JJ Goode  and Helen Hollyman promises recipes for Late Night Meals from the World's Greatest Chefs".  I was very disappointed with this book for three reasons.  First, I do not understand the foul language.  I know professional chefs curse, but adding it to a book does not make one cool, intelligent, or professional.  Second, one of the recipes is for a grilled cheese.  It literally lists the ingredients as bread, butter, and cheese.  If someone needs a recipe for a grilled cheese, I am not sure she should be operating a cook top unsupervised.  Third, another of the recipes includes two cans refried beans in the ingredient list.  Am I supposed to believe that the "World's Greatest Chef's" use canned refried beans?  Refried beans are easy to make.  This book is obviously for a different audience than myself. 

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: