Sunday, October 8, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews



Ellie Alexander's Death on Tap is the first book in the Sloan Krause Mystery series.  This cozy mystery series deals in depth with brewing beer.  While I do not like beer personally, I found the information on craft beer brewing to be very compelling.  Sloan works as a brewer for her husband's family.  Her world is turned upside down when she finds her husband in a compromising position with another woman.  Sloan takes a job with a new to town brewer and owner of Nitro.  Things are off to a great start until she finds a body in the fermenting tub.  While the mystery in this book is not the strongest, the characters and town make up for it.  The town features a range of characters from those I loved to those I did not like at all.  Of course it takes all of them to make the story work.  I look forward to seeing how the characters as well as some of the side stories develop as the series progresses!  


Death by Eggnog by Alex Erickson is the fifth book in the Bookstore Cafe Mystery series.  I have read some previous books in this series, but it is not necessary to enjoy this book.  Krissy's vacation becomes a staycation after her father plans a last minute trip.  The co-owner of Death by Coffee insists that Krissy take time away from work.  That leads to her taking a part in the local theater company's holiday musical.  Things are going well enough until Santa is murdered and Krissy's ex is the main suspect.  The characters and setting for this book are fun and perfect for a cozy mystery.  Reading this book only makes me look forward to more from the author!

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: