Sunday, October 15, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

When I first looked at the table of contents for Sally's Cookie Addiction by Sally McKenney, I was not sure I would find any interesting recipes.  Then I started reading the cookbook and marked recipe after recipe to try.  I did end up making the Big Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and gave them to my taste testers.  Everyone loved the cookies.  The bit of molasses added an extra depth to the cookies.  The book is a nice mix of classics and unusual cookies.  The tips and tricks are an nice addition especially for new bakers.  Cookies always seem to be hit, and this book offers something for everyone!

The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook by Kate MacDonald and L.M. Montgomery is a great cookbook for fans of Anne of Green Gables.  The pictures of the finished recipes are beautiful.  I appreciate that the recipes use basic ingredients.  I made the apple dumplings.  Although I needed to seriously adjust the cooking time, the flavor of the finished dessert was delicious.  It is something that I will make again.  I have several more recipes marked to try.  The recipes are simple enough that they can be made with children. 

Perilous Poetry by Kym Roberts is book three in the Book Barn Mystery series.  Charli is thrilled when her cousin and aunt show up with two surprises.  Her cousin wants to use the Book Barn Princess to unveil his new app, and he has arranged for author Lucy Barton to do a book signing.  The problems begin when murders start happening that appear to be tied to the app and Lucy Barton's books.  Reading the previous books is not necessary to follow this one.  The why of the murders is sort of explained but seems to be a stretch.  This series is a bit heavier on the romance than some other cozy mysteries, but it is not annoying.  I did find the repetitive phrases (OMW - oh my word - and Get Out) to be tiresome.  Still this is a fun series.  I love the book store set in a barn, and Princess the pet armadillo remains my favorite character.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: