Thursday, July 19, 2018

In the Garden: Insects

I have had fennel growing in the garden for a couple of years.  This year we started to see a few black swallowtail caterpillars.  I suspected that the few we saw were being eaten by birds or the chickens.  When we noticed another batch of caterpillars, we covered both of the fennel plants with netting.  So far it seems to have worked as the caterpillars are still there and have grown.  I am hoping for a garden full of butterflies. 




Next year I will make sure to have plenty of fennel in the garden and netting handy to keep the caterpillars safe.

My garden is also visited by piles of dragonflies.  This one posed so perfectly that I was happy to have my camera handy for a photo.



2 comments:

Lorita said...

What pretty caterpillars! I hope to see pictures of the butterflies later. How nice for the dragonfly to pose so prettily for you.

Beckyathome said...

I would be very excited, too, if I had those caterpillars on my garden plants! I hope you get a lot of butterflies from them. Around here, we have a lot of yellow swallowtail butterflies, and I love watching them flit around. I've never planted fennel before, but maybe I will plant some just to see if the butterflies like it:)