Sunday, July 15, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

Stuffed! by Marlena Kur is all about edible food boats.  Everything from avocado to zucchini is covered in this book.  I found a recipe in every section that I wanted to try.  I admit my favorite might be the s'more stuffed sweet potato which includes chocolate, marshmallows, and crushed graham crackers.  A close second is the shepherd's pie potato boat.   The pictures are lovely and tempting.  This is a fun cookbook that offers something for everyone!

Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits by Bob Bennett is the fifth edition of this particular book.  This book is more focused on farm raised rabbits than pet rabbits.  I suspect the author would not be happy with how I raise my rabbits. I disagree that rabbits should stay in small cages.  I would also have liked to see more information on distinguishing between male and female rabbits.  It offered good information for beginners, but I was disappointed at the lack of in-depth information.

Malcom T Stanford and Richard E Bonney are back with the second edition of Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees.  I found this book to offer very basic information.  I would have been happier to see more varied information.  I got the impression that the authors had concrete ideas and stuck to those.  Maybe this is common among beekeepers.  I like to read about all of the options and make my own decisions.  The textbook style was hard for me to read, but that is a personal grievance.  This is a good starter book on beekeeping.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.

No comments: