Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Menu Plan

I do better when I run my menu plan from Wednesday to Tuesday as I do my shopping on Wednesday or Thursday. I spent no grocery money last week so I have $93 to shop with today. I hope to stay well below that amount however. I will share my totals tomorrow. Today here are my planned meals.

Wednesday - Rotisserie chicken, potato salad, & green beans/Chili & cornbread
I have several errands to run and like to have a quick lunch planned. The chicken is on sale. I made potato salad yesterday using ingredients on hand. The green beans will come from the freezer. Warren, my husband, requested the chili. I had no canned beans but I did have dried beans. Since I am trying to use what I have on hand I cooked those yesterday. The cornbread will be from a mix on hand.

Thursday - Leftovers/Beef stew & French bread
The rotisserie chicken always yields a minimum of two meals. I will serve chicken quesadillas or chicken salad. The beef stew will be cooked in the crock pot as a mixture of meat, potatoes, carrots, and onions. I will make two small loaves of French bread to serve along with the stew.

Friday - cubed steak, mashed potatoes, & garden peas/pizza & salad
I have a large amount of potatoes that need to be used up so we will be eating those several times this week. The pizza for supper will be easy as I have crust dough in the freezer.

Saturday to Monday - Last minute items
Warren works a weekend shift, and I never know until he arrives home if he will be hungry. I have frozen chicken fillets, frozen mini pizzas, and deli meat on hand. If he wants something to eat, I have quick meal options. Most of these are purchased frozen foods. I want to make some frozen homemade items for future use.

Tuesday - pork tenderloin, scalloped potatoes, & peas/chimichangas
The scalloped potatoes are an easy but delicious side item. I thinly slice potatoes with a mandoline. Those are layered in a buttered baking dish. I sprinkle with salt and pepper and pour cream over the top. Not exactly healthy but yummy nevertheless. The chimichangas are a meatless meal. I mix black beans, salsa and cheese together and roll up in wheat tortillas tucking in the sides. These are sprayed lightly with olive oil and baked. It get the crunch of being fried without the frying.

No comments: