Monday, January 9, 2012

Use it Up: Orange Marmalade

One of my goals this year is to be less wasteful.  I had some oranges that were getting closer and closer to the compost pile.  Five were already shriveled and past being useful.  I did find six that were still in fairly good shape.  I decided to try making orange marmalade.  I pulled out my copy of Put 'Em Up  and found a recipe.  The steps were divided over three days.  The first step was to wash and slice the oranges.



 Then the oranges went into a pot to sit overnight.

On the second day water is added and the oranges are boiled until the rinds are tender.  On day three the oranges are measured and an equal amount of sugar is added.  This mixture is boiled until it gels.  The jars are filled and then placed in a water bath.    I was rewarded with jars of beautiful orange marmalade. 


For just a few minutes of time over three days and some sugar I saved six oranges from the compost pile.  I also have yummy marmalade for my toast and a bit more confidence in my canning abilities. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I made this last year and it is a great way to use up oranges!! Looks yummy!

Rhonda said...

it looks really pretty in your jars.

Cindy said...

looks delicious and beautiful too!!

L said...

That looks amazing and I bet the taste is incredible! I hope to try that sometime soon.

Dan Salter said...

can someone explain the jars in a waterbath stage? ive never heard of this and i make a lot of jams