Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Hosting an Easter Egg Hunt

For several years I have co-hosted the community/church egg hunt in my neighborhood.  Over the years I have narrowed down what works best for us.  Maybe some of these tips can help you.

Our egg hunt is open to children aged baby through 12 years old. Living in a very small town allows me to know who most likely will come.  If you are hosting a neighborhood hunt, you most likely will also know the families that will attend.  It helps to have an idea the number and ages of children who will attend.  I add a couple of children to each age group to be on the safe side.  I plan a dozen eggs for each child.

For our egg hunt we provide all of the plastic eggs and treats inside.  Children only need to bring their baskets.  I have a family member who has kept us stocked in plastic eggs bought on clearance after Easter.  Fortunately we have room store store all of these eggs.  Alternately you can ask people to donate empty or filled plastic eggs in the weeks prior to the egg hunt.  


Having the eggs ahead of time allows us to hide the eggs before the egg hunt.  A bonus of doing it this way is that we do not need to provide entertainment/games for the children while someone hides all of the eggs.

What I put inside the eggs varies a bit from year to year depending on what I have found.  For the youngest age group I normally put Saf-T-Pops or small packs of gummy bears.  Stickers are another nice item for the toddler group.  The middle age group gets candy and stickers.  The older age group primarily gets candy.  I normally buy a bulk package of candy from the regular candy aisle.  I have found the prices to be better.

We serve a light lunch.  Most often this is grilled hot dogs, individual bags of chips, and mini cupcakes.  This gives the children a chance to open their eggs and play.  The parents have a chance to visit.  Most years we provide treat bags.  I try to find things on clearance.  Some popular items are small coloring/activity books, small bottles of bubbles, and either candy or cookies.

Have you every hosted an Easter egg hunt?  I would love to hear your tips for making it a success!

1 comment:

Amber said...

I remember from years past when my boys were young, that large plastic garbage cans with a small hole cut in the lid and appropriately labeled were around where families could deposit empty eggs after the hunt. They didn't take them home and they were reused the following year. Another idea that I used for egg stuffers was sidewalk chalk.