Sunday, April 2, 2017

Weekend Book Review: The Acid Watcher Diet

The Acid Watcher Diet by Dr. Jonathan Aviv interested me primarily because my husband deals with acid reflux.  As I was reading the opening chapters, I was surprised that many other symptoms my husband has are tied to the reflux.  Dr. Aviv does an excellent job of explaining what reflux is and how an individual's diet affects it.

He starts the diet portion by giving a list of habits for reducing acid.  Many are general habits that anyone trying to improve his/her health should do.  His advice ties into the popular belief that processed foods are one thing to be avoided.

Next comes the 28 day healing diet.  While I can see that it would benefit someone with acid reflux, I do not think my husband has reached the point that he would want to follow the diet.  It is quite restrictive.  Dr Aviv has obviously never been to the middle of nowhere (AKA my hometown) as readers are encouraged to go to the local juice bar for freshly made juices.

Overall this is a good book with excellent information.  My husband may never be completely on board, but the book does give lists of foods which are better than others for acid reflux sufferers.  I think anyone dealing with reflux would find something useful in The Acid Watcher Diet.

disclosure:  I received this book from Blogging for Books but was not otherwise compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: