Saturday, April 8, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

For Whom The Bread Rolls is the second book in the Pancake House Mystery series by Sarah Fox.  This book stands on its own, but I had read the first book in the series last year.  Marley is back at The Flip Side, a pancake house she inherited in her former hometown.  When the woman harassing her is murdered, Marley becomes a person of interest and works to clear her name.  I enjoyed this book but did not love it.  I was annoyed at the amount of time spent on Marley's love life.  I read cozy mysteries because I like mysteries not romance.  I am not giving up on the series.  However, I would like to see the mystery have a more prominent role in the next book.

Alison Cayne's The Haven's Kitchen Cooking School is a wonderful resource for beginning cooks.  It is divided into nine focused sections from soups to sauces to desserts.  The book includes teaching recipes that cover cooking basics and then builds on those.  I tried the recipe for Crispy Sauteed Mushrooms and found the cooking times to be spot on which is important for any recipe book.  While more established cooks might not find much new information, a new cook need look no further to gain confidence in the kitchen.

Purr M for Murder by TC LoTempio is the first book in the Cat Rescue Mystery series.  Sydney returns to her hometown to help her sister Kat with the local animal shelter, Friendly Paws.  Things are off to a bad start when Sydney's pop up cat cafe plan meets an adversary, Trowbridge Littleton.  When Trowbridge is murdered, Kat is the top suspect.  Sydney begins her own investigation to clear Kat's name and save the shelter.  I loved the setting and the characters.  This series has great potential for growth.  I am already looking forward to the next book.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: