Sunday, April 30, 2017

Weekend Book Reviews

The Yellow Envelope by Kim Dinan is part travel book and part memoir.  Kim decides she is tired of living the life she is expected to live - the right job, big house, etc.  She convinces her husband, Brian, that they should quit their jobs, sell their belongings, and travel the world.  Reading this book was a bit like riding a roller coaster.  At times I loved it, and at other times the author's complaining annoyed me.  The yellow envelope is filled with money gifted by friends to Kim and Brian and intended to be gifted to others during their travels.  Even with the ups and downs, I enjoyed the book.

Maddie Day's latest book in the Country Store Mystery series is When the Grits Hit the Fan.  I have read a previous book in the series, but it is not necessary.  Robbie's country store/restaurant continues to thrive even during the winter months.  She and a friend stumble across a dead body.  With the suspects piling up, Robbie is determined to solve the mystery.  While I enjoyed this book, I felt the story became too political in several places.  Politics have taken over everything, but I hope that the series will go no deeper.  A good book should be an escape rather than more of the same.

How to be a Hepburn in a Kardashian World by Jordan Christy is a revised edition of a previous book.  Targeted audience for the this book is teen girls.  I appreciate the idea of this book which is to help young girls focus on style, class, and grace.  It does not provide good advice for very young teens especially in regards to dating.  In some areas it is too light and in others too deep.  I am uncertain exactly what age group if any would benefit the most from this book.  I feel that it missed the mark slightly.

disclosure:  I received these e-books from NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: