Friday, September 7, 2018

Frugal Friday (with Pictures!)

1.  Since we will not be doing the expanded front porch on our house yet I decided to create a couple of small flower beds on either side of the steps. 





I used bricks from in front of the old storage building which was moved this week to create the border.  I planted sweet Williams that were previously in pots and very root bound.  I left a couple of petunias that were already growing in the spot.  The plants should improve in appearance now that the roots have room to grow.  It cost nothing except some time.

2.  I had saved a crochet pattern that I liked on Etsy.  When I was looking through my favorites list, I clicked on the description and discovered I could get two patterns free by signing up for the shop's newsletter.  I choose the bee pattern that I liked and a penguin pattern.  I saved $11.

3.  Our two inside cats are older and often made a mess when using the litter box.  W took an old tote we had and made an enclosed one.  Most of the mess stays confined, and the tote is easy to wash out.  This was another free project since we already had the materials.


4.  I made sure to put any leftovers that we were not eating within two days into the freezer.  I started a list so we would remember what we had.  W thinks it will be nice to have an entire month of no grocery shopping and just eat freezer meals.  I am not sure that will happen yet, but it will be a nice goal for next year.

5.  One of the outside cats turned over a pot with a dragon fruit plant in it.  Unfortunately one section of the plant broke off.  I noticed that the broken section had some roots on it.  I stuck it into an empty planter on the front porch and have been keeping it watered.  If all goes well I will have an additional dragon fruit plant.

1 comment:

terricheney said...

I've got to move a bunch of Sweet William from an overcrowded pot to a new one. It's so worthwhile since it is truly green/blooming nearly year round here, isn't it? Angelonia and coleus also volunteered to come back this year and I've got several new plants off both of those.

I think the tote littler box cover is very clever. I've seen very expensive versions of that same thing and I like yours best.