Saturday, September 15, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

In Want of a Knife by Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli is the third book in the Little Library Mystery series.  I had read a previous book in the series.  I had hoped to see some stronger character development in this book.  Unfortunately Jenny is still moping around since she has no man in her life and appears weak.  Her friend Zoe comes across as bitter.  The story did not flow well at all.  It jumps from one thing to the next without ever accomplishing anything.  The idea for the books is wonderful, but for me the execution falls flat.

Southern Snacks  by Perre Coleman Magness includes 77 recipes.  Some of the recipes are in most southerners arsenal including cheese straws and comeback sauce. A few were new to me such as the collard pimento cheese dip.  I was slightly offended at the thought of adding anything except salt to the water for boiled peanuts.  Good boiled peanuts do not need anything else.  Of course each southerner has his/her own family twist on most recipes.  It is a nice mixture of traditional and new.

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

2 comments:

terricheney said...

On your review of Southern Snacks: I don't know why on earth anyone would put anything other than salt in peanuts! I too have dozens of recipes in local cookbooks for cheese straws or crackers (which aren't crackers). And collards in my pimento cheese isn't gonna happen. I'll take them separately, lol. Are we sure this guy knows Southern?

Dawn said...

I suspect the author is big city southern which I think you will agree is not the same as country southern. It often seems there are two "souths" - those of us in rural areas with dirt roads and fields and those in big cities who are surprised to learn that peanuts grow in the ground and not on a tree. Yes, I have known plenty of southerners who have no idea how peanuts grow. I agree that collards and pimento cheese should never ever be together in the same dish and probably not in the same meal.