Sunday, September 16, 2018

Weekend Book Reviews

Pandemic 1918 by Catharine Arnold is a well written book about the 1918 Spanish flu.  The first hand accounts painted a vivid picture of the horror that people faced during that time.  It ties World War I into the story and explains how trying to stop the spread as in the case of Alaska and Australia was futile.  The book also carries readers to the present and shares how researchers are working to prevent history from repeating itself.  I have read several books about the 1918 flu, but this one was especially griping due to the first hand accounts of survivors and caregivers. 


Allison Brooks' second book in the Haunted Library Mystery series is Read and Gone.  Carrie is happy with her job at the library and her visits from the library ghost Evelyn.  She gets a Christmas surprise when her often absent father Jim returns.  It would be a good thing if he was in town to see her and not track down his share of stolen jewels.  When Jim's partner Benton is murdered, Jim is the first suspect.  Despite his treatment of her, Carrie is determined to track down the gems and clear her father.  I did not read the first book in this series, but I had no trouble keeping track of the characters.  The mystery was strong with several likely candidates for the guilty party.  I loved that Evelyn was a serious part of the book rather than a silly addition.  I look forward to catching up on the first book and reading future ones in the series!

disclosure:  I received these e-books through NetGalley but was not otherwise compensated for these reviews.  All opinions are my own!

1 comment:

Marilyn Levinson said...

Thanks for reviewing READ AND GONE. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it.