Monday, April 29, 2013

Menu Monday

Last week W and I picked a small basket of garden peas from the garden.  I shelled those, and we had them for lunch the following day.  It was the first time W had eaten fresh garden peas, and he is hooked. Those will be a regular part of our garden each year.


I followed last week's menu plan for the most part.  I did spend $20 on groceries in the middle of last week.  That was milk, potatoes, cream cheese, whipping cream, and a few other items.  I have $24 to spend this week. 

The Usual (AKA: pizza & salad)

Spaghetti & meatballs, breadsticks, salad - I have meatballs and breadsticks premade in the freezer so this will be a quick meal to put together.  More lettuce from the garden is on this week's menu.

Cubed steak, twice baked potatoes, vegetables from freezer - I have ordered a meat tenderizer from Amazon and am anxious to try it out.  I will use some of the potatoes I purchased last week to make twice baked potatoes including extras to put in the freezer.

Baked fish, Parmesan noodles, cole slaw - I have half a cabbage to use up.  We purchased fish fillets at Sam's Club.  Rather than use box pasta mixes I prefer to make my own.  Angel hair pasta, a bit of butter, garlic, and Parmesan cheese make a delicious side dish.

Sloppy joes and chips or fries - Sloppy joes are W's specialty.  I have pre-cooked ground meat in the freezer so this is another quick meal option.

Pork tenderloin, potatoes & milk, green beans - We have fresh potatoes ready to dig in the garden.  These new potatoes are delicious in a thickened milk sauce. 

Big salads - A lighter meal is needed after some of the heavier ones on the menu.  I will add shrimp or chicken to lettuce from the garden.

No comments: